Sunday, March 2, 2014

AN OPEN LETTER TO DECENT PEOPLE.

Dear Decent Human Reading This,

First of all, you look nice today.

I am glad you decided to take some time out of your life to read this note from me.

I wanted to let you know that I have learned a lot from you – I’ve learned that you are, in fact, decent – even extra-decent. I’ve learned that you are going places – you don’t always know exactly how you’ll be getting there, but you’re going places. I’ve learned that you have a hard time believing that you’re decent, but that makes you even more of a special person. And I’ve learned that – perhaps most importantly – I’ve learned that bad things keep happening to you. I’ve learned that you’re wondering what you did to deserve these bad things. I’m not sure I can answer that question for you. What I can tell you is this: eventually, after days – months – years – heartbreaks – jerks – unmet expectations – questions – doubts – cries – laughs – gifts – calls – texts – kisses – misses – blankets – pillows – dinners – forgotten birthdays – tunes – songs – notes – car rides – fights – arguments –
 
You wake up one day and you can say goodbye.

It comes out of nowhere. You’ve spent so much time being all-consumed with ruthless things – the relentless cycle you’ve been a part of - and then, on any given Thursday, you’re ready. If you’re not there yet, you will be. I promise that you will be.

______________________________________________________________________________

 There are big things happening, decent person. There are things so big happening that the universe has to keep you occupied somehow until those things arrive – they keep you occupied with non-decent people. I think they were hoping we could help them. But their biggest hope – and I know this because they told me – is that when that big stuff arrives, you’ll be able to appreciate it. You’ll have some terrible frame of reference to compare it to and you’ll know – big stuff is here, big stuff came, I’m ready for big stuff. Right now there’s a door that’s barely cracked open. You can feel a tiny draft, but you want the whole breeze. Be patient. And I’ll do the same.

We decent people have to stick together.

“And then it was dark and I thought I’d see you again. I thought maybe you’d think I was perfect the way I thought you were perfect – even despite all the things and all the hurt I’d felt because of you. I kinda thought you loved me for a second, but maybe you were just saying goodbye. Maybe I was just saying goodbye.”                              
love,
kb
















and welcome back to the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment